Out of the blue, I suddenly missed the sweet and ham-like taste of Tocino meat so I dashed to the local specialty store to grab a pack. As expected, commercially processed and packed meats usually contain colors, preservatives, sodium nitrates and the infamous MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). So, I spoiled myself at first knowing that I have to make Tocino from scratch to be able to eat guilt-free. My master chef mom made us Tocino (without Salitre) from her own kitchen and I can still vividly remember the distinct and hearty taste of homemade cooking... I loved every inch of it including the imperfections and inconsistencies.

Throughout my culinary journeys in unknown territories, I often discovered that making a dish for the first time is not as complicated as I perceived it to be... ummm, I think except Mediterranean cuisine *sheepish grin*. The fun part is, at least for me, learning about the history or creation of that dish, and likewise, getting the best of everything and putting in your own twist. Not all of my culinary journeys end in fruition, some of it end up in the trash even after diligent efforts to revive it from the flatline.

Note that the Tocino recipe below was designed to have a moderate flavor because I do not want to add tons of sugar and sodium. So, feel free to add more if you wish to overload.

Chicken Tocino

330 grams chicken breast
2 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. oyster sauce
1 tbsp. vinegar
4 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 to 1 tbsp. garlic powder
pepper

condiments

1. Cut the chicken breast into bite-size pieces.


2. In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients and add in the meat. Coat evenly.
3. Marinate for 2 days or at least overnight.


Best served during breakfast with sunny side-up eggs and garlic fried rice. Just pan fry the meat in oil and add a little water in it for that sticky glaze.

Good morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home