See those peaks? Those are the peaks of my success . I have beaten the egg whites stiff!

I know it's not rocket science and I admit it doesn't look very appealing, but hey, kudos to the multi-tasking freezer bag for producing those well sculptured swirls for an amateur like me. A special mention to my gorgeous right arm for vigorously but gracefully working the mixer for what seemed like forever.

I don't know why there's an urban legend behind making the perfect meringue. Someone said it's like a chemistry project, a speck of dust can alter the system of atoms and molecules (blank, clueless stare). My baker sister even told me it is tricky and I should not waste the egg whites. I reckon, the whites are already wasted anyway since I made a custard flan out of the yolks, so, fast forward to the resolution, I have made my first victorious attempt in baking meringue cookies.

Custard or Leche Flan is everyone's fave indulgence. Since my mommy dearest is far from me, I have no other choice but to make it myself... unless I buy those Jell-O powdered mixes which is a massive no no! It also turned out to be hubby's nth favorite desert (eyes rolling) and I believe he can eat the entire batch without my supernatural presence. Making custard flan and meringue at the same time is a win win situation because you can make the best use of unwanted ingredients.

I usually don't do recipes because I suck at it and I always defy the laws of measurement, but here goes... anyhow, you can always alter it according to your ego, errr, I mean your taste.


Meringue Cookies

4 eggwhites
1 cup sugar or less
1/2 tsp. vanilla
dash of salt
1 tsp white vinegar (my substitute for cream of tartar, i told you there's chemistry in the acidity level :) )
chopped nuts for garnish (optional)

  1. Pre-heat oven to 200F
  2. Beat egg whites with vinegar and salt until foamy or double in volume
  3. Add vanilla extract
  4. Gradually beat in sugar until it forms soft but firm peaks
  5. Use a spoon to shape pieces onto a parchment paper or use a plastic bag and cut the tip to squeeze out swirl shapes
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on the size of your oven or the texture you want to achieve
  7. Leave overnight inside the oven for that sumptuous crisp! ...and make sure to stock some Erythromycin for your tonsillitis.

Custard Flan a.k.a. Leche Flan

Basic version:
6 pcs. whole eggs
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract

Rich and smooth version:
8 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (my mom adds some mango or fruit juice which is equally divine!)

Caramel glaze:
Sugar
Water (optional if you want a pond around your custard)
  1. Caramelize sugar in pan (I usually put it inside the oven until brown and melted. I use pyrex glass pans instead of aluminum because it is healthier.)
  2. Mix all ingredients in blender or with a hand mixer
  3. Pour mixture into pans and cover with foil
  4. Place in a pot and steam for 20-30 minutes, or bake bain marie style in a pre-heated oven at 375F for 45 mins. to 1 hour.
  5. Let it cool in room temperature and chill.
Tip: Insert a toothpick to check consistency. If it comes out clean, it's ready. Reset to attack mode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home