Tapioca pudding has been and still is a staple in our family's banquet table. Tapioca pearls come in different sizes, but I always purchase the small pearls because it provides an irresistible and somewhat addictive smooth but lumpy texture. It is not to be confused with "sago" because both originates from different species of plants, although very much identical like separated twins.

My mummy makes the best Tapioca pudding, and I grew up watching her stir it incessantly. So, by the time I wanted to do it myself, I knew what to expect. I placed a cloth (this is due to my OCD) on the countertop just beside the stove, hopped and sat on it. I also made sure the ingredients are within reach so I don't have to go down and fetch. There I sat and stirred until I felt like I grew malignant carbuncles on my pits! Ok, that was an exaggeration... but my hubby had to massage my arm that night.

It was a baptism of fire and afterwards, I discovered that I can do it in half the time. So call yourself lucky and try this simple recipe.


Creamy Tapioca Pudding

1/2 cup small Tapioca pearls (soaked at least 30 mins.)
3 cups milk (I sometimes substitute 1 cup of coconut milk)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional: corn, cheese, fruit toppings, nuts

  1. In a casserole, stir in Tapioca, milk and salt on medium heat.
  2. Simmer and stir CONSTANTLY for around 20 mins. to prevent the pearls from sticking into clusters.
  3. Gradually add some of the hot tapioca mixture to the beaten eggs to match the temperature, and pour it back into the casserole.
  4. Add sugar, vanilla extract and other add ons like corn and cheese and stir continuously.
  5. Cool at room temperature and chill.
  6. Garnish before serving.
TIP: Tapioca turns translucent when cooked.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home